Student Financial Services

Financial Aid

Student Financial Services

Welcome to the Frank Phillips College Student Financial Services home page! It is the mission of the Student Financial Services Office to eliminate or diminish financial barriers to students seeking an education at FPC and to inform prospective students, parents, and enrolled students of financial aid resources and requirements. 

Disbursement of Awards to Students

All eligible grants, loans and scholarships are credited to a student’s account each term and financial aid disbursements are made to students through the business office.  Students are encouraged to review their Plainsmen Portal to review all aid, charges, and account balances.  General disbursement dates occur after the census date of each term.  Students generally receive student financial aid in multiple disbursements, and disbursements are administered by the business office.

Suggested Deadlines

A good rule of thumb regarding student financial services deadlines is the earlier the better. The student financial services office gives first priority for aid consideration to students whose applications are received early. Deadline for guaranteed funding for summer sessions is May 1st. Deadline for guaranteed funding for fall semester is July 1st and deadline for guaranteed funding for spring semester is December 10th. However, don’t count yourself out until you have contacted our office.

Student Debt Relief Information

The debt relief application is live: Please remember is the only place to apply! Students will have until the end of 2023 to submit their application.

Applying for Financial Aid

Determining Eligibility

With the exception of the scholarship program, all Student Financial Services programs are funded by federal or state governmental agencies and administered according to the laws and guidelines of each program. In general, the eligibility requirements listed below are the same for all programs. A student must:

  • Be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen.
  • Be registered with the Selective Service if you are at least 18 years old and male.
  • Be a high school graduate or have a GED certificate.
  • Show documented financial need.
  • Be enrolled in an eligible program offered by Frank Phillips College.
  • Be working toward a degree or certificate.
  • Be maintaining satisfactory progress and good standing in your course of study.
  • Be enrolled or plan to enroll in at least one semester-credit hours for Federal Pell Grants and at least six semester-credit hours for loan programs.
  • Not be in default on a federal student loan.

How do I apply?

U.S. Citizens and Eligible Non-Citizens

Fill out the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) online: FAFSA Application.  Once the application is complete, it will take approximately 5-10 business days for your FAFSA application to be processed into the system.

Texas Residents who are not Eligible to Apply for Federal Financial Aid

To determine eligibility for applicants that do not qualify for federal aid, download the Texas Application for State Financial Aid (TASFA)

2023-2024 TASFA Application and Instructions (PDF) in English

2023-2024 TASFA Application and Instructions (PDF) in Spanish

2022-23 TASFA Application and Instructions (PDF) in English

2022-23 TASFA Application and Instructions (PDF) en Español

Student Financial Aid Rights & Responsibilities

Students have a RIGHT to ask:

  • What financial assistance is available?
  • What are the deadlines for submitting applications?
  • What is the cost of attending and refund policies?
  • What criteria is used to select financial aid recipients?
  • How is financial need determined?
  • What criteria is used to determine the amount of student's award?
  • What is satisfactory progress, and does it affect me?

It is the students' RESPONSIBILITY to:

  • Be informed about the institution before enrolling.
  • Complete all forms accurately and submit them on time.
  • Read and understand forms they are asked to sign.
  • Know and comply with deadlines.
  • Report all changes in address, telephone number, name, grants, scholarships, and school status to the Student Financial Services Office.
  • Accept responsibility for all signed agreements.

Grant Aid

Grants are considered gift aid and do not require repayment unless the student reduces his/her course load, never attends class, quits attending class, or withdraws from school prior to the completion of the semester.  Grants are awarded based on financial need. There are several types of grants available for students.

  • Federal Pell Grant (PELL)
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
  • Texas Educational Opportunity Grant (TEOG)

Federal Pell Grant (PELL)
The Federal Pell Grant is a federal program for undergraduate students obtaining his/her first bachelor’s degree and is designed to provide eligible students with a foundation of aid to help defray the cost of education. It is always the first program considered for each applicant. Although the Financial Aid Office determines the amount of each student’s Pell Grant, eligibility is determined on the basis of a formula developed by the U.S. Department of Education. The Pell Grant amount depends on the student’s expected family contribution, the cost of attendance at FPC and the number of hours for which the student is enrolled (full-time, three-quarter time, half-time, less than half-time). A student may be ineligible for a Federal Pell Grant; however, he or she may qualify for other financial assistance. The Federal Pell Grant is to be used solely for educational purposes, which includes tuition, fees, room, board, books, supplies, transportation, and miscellaneous expenses. In order to receive a Pell Grant, the Department of Education must have processed a valid student aid report (which is the result of filing the FAFSA form) with an official expected family contribution while an eligible student is enrolled for the award year. Verification documents (if applicable) must be received and be accurate no later than 120 days after the last day of enrollment or the Department of Education’s published deadline, whichever is earlier. A student’s duration of Pell eligibility is limited to the equivalent of 12 full-time semesters.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
The FSEOG is awarded to first time undergraduate students with the lowest estimated family contributions who are also receiving Federal Pell Grants and have financial need. Awards are based on the student’s enrollment and are made in accordance with program regulations and on a first come, first served basis.

Texas Educational Opportunity Grant (TEOG)
The purpose of the TEOG Program is to provide financial assistance to eligible students attending Texas two-year public institutions of higher education. Funding is limited. Each year institutions try to award funds to as many eligible students as possible. However, all eligible students may not receive funding.


Loans are borrowed money that the student and/or parent will have to repay with interest. Subsidized and Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loans are the most common source of student loan funds.

To receive student loans, you must:

1. complete the Entrance Counseling Session and sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN) on This site requires your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) username and password.

2. complete a Loan Request Form and submit it to the Financial Aid Office in Borger or to the appropriate office on your campus. If you have attended a previous college(s), please make sure FPC has your official transcripts from that/those colleges.

Federal Direct Student Loan Programs
The William D. Ford Federal Direct Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loan is a fixed interest rate loan made to a student who is enrolled at least half-time in an eligible program.   The lender is the U.S. Department of Education.  Repayment begins six months after a student leaves school or drops below half-time enrollment.

  • Federal Direct Subsidized Loans — Federal Direct Subsidized Loans are for students with financial need and the government pays the interest while the student is enrolled. The financial aid office will review the results of the student’s Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and determine the amount the student is eligible to borrow. The subsidized Stafford loan is the best, first choice for the students looking to borrow money for education. 
  • Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans — Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans are not need based; therefore, students are not required to demonstrate financial need. Like subsidized loans, the school will determine the amount the student is eligible to borrow.  Interest accrues (accumulates) on an unsubsidized loan from the time it’s first paid out. Students can pay the interest while they are in school and during grace periods and deferment or forbearance periods, or they can allow it to accrue and be capitalized (that is, added to the principal amount of your loan). If the student chooses not to pay the interest as it accrues, this will increase the total amount the student has to repay because they will be charged interest on a higher principal amount.

The Financial Aid Office will determine the student’s loan eligibility in accordance with the Department of Education regulations.  A dependent student can borrow combined subsidized and unsubsidized loans not to exceed the annual loan limits.  The loan limits are $3,500 per year for freshmen and $4,500 per year for sophomores. Independent students may borrow additional unsubsidized loans not to exceed $6,000.  Dependent students may borrow additional unsubsidized not to exceed $2,000.  The actual amount the student is eligible to borrow is determined by the financial aid office and may be less than the maximum amount.  There are also aggregate limits on the total amount a student can borrow.  For loan purposes, a student’s classification will be determined by the number of hours completed toward his or her selected degree or certificate at the time of initial certification.  A student’s classification will not be reevaluated until the beginning of the next academic year (fall through summer).  A student who transfers in the middle of an academic year and has received his or her annual loan limit while at the transfer institution will not be eligible for a loan at FPC until the beginning of the next academic year. In accordance with federal regulations, FPC has the right to refuse to certify a loan or to certify for a reduced amount.

Once accepted, students must complete entrance loan counseling and complete the Master Promissory Note (MPN) process that is available at: Borrowers must complete entrance loan counseling and testing before receiving a loan each academic year. Exit loan counseling and testing is required before the student ceases at least half-time enrollment. Once the student completes entrance counseling, exit counseling and/or the MPN process, confirmation is sent to the Frank Phillips College Financial Aid Office.

Borrowers have a right to cancel all or a portion of the loan disbursement and have their proceeds returned to the federal government.  FPC will send notice to the borrower no earlier than 30 days before and no later than 30 days after the school credits the student’s account.  The notice will include the method and date by which the borrower must notify the school that he or she wishes to cancel all or a portion of the loan or loan disbursement.


Scholarships, like grants, are funds that do not require repayment.  Scholarships are coordinated through the Frank Phillips College Development Corporation and private donors.  Students receiving a Frank Phillips College scholarship must use the award while attending FPC.  Funds will not be disbursed to a student for transfer to another college or university, or for personal use.

There are many scholarship opportunities for students attending Frank Phillips College.  Scholarships can vary significantly in eligibility criteria; some are merit based and others are need based. Each year, through the generous support of FPC donors, more scholarships become available.  Click here for a list of current FPC scholarships and to apply.  You only need to complete one application to apply for all FPC scholarships. 

Local Scholarships are possibly available in your area.  Local service and civic organizations, churches, businesses quite often sponsor scholarship programs.  Your local high school counselor should be able to provide you with this information.

Scholarship Search Services
The U.S. Department of Education does not evaluate private scholarship search services. If you should decide to use one of these, you may check with the Better Business Bureau or the Texas State Attorney Generals Office.

The Hope Scholarship Tax Credit
The Hope Scholarship is actually a tax credit, not a scholarship.  We recommend that you consult your personal tax advisor.

The U.S. Department of Education and the State of Texas frequently change regulations pertaining to financial aid. Since FPC complies with all legislative mandates, federal and state regulations, the Student Financial Services office reserves the right to make policy and procedure changes during the award year. If changes occur, they will be updated on the FPC web site.

Federal Work Study

Federal Work Study offers eligible students an opportunity to earn their financial aid through employment.  A completed FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) will be needed. Student must verify eligibility with the financial aid office.

Students employed through the Federal Work Study program are paid bi-weekly. Time sheets must be submitted on the appropriate dates each month in order to receive payment. Students who fail to submit their time sheet by the designated date will not receive payment until the following pay period.

Please submit the following application is you are interested in Federal Work Study opportunities: Federal Work Study Application

SFS Cost of Attendance

Determining Financial Need

Frank Phillips College Net Price Calculator

Cost of Attendance 
When calculating the cost of an education, we take into account several factors, such as:

Tuition & Fees
Books & Supplies
Room & Board
Miscellaneous Expenses

Expected Family Contribution
A standard formula created by the Federal Government determines the amount
of money a family may reasonably be expected to contribute toward an
individual’s education. Income, assets, benefits, number of dependents
and number of family members in college are all considered in the

Financial Need 
A student’s financial need is determined by subtracting the Expected
Family Contribution from the Cost of Attendance. Federal and State
financial assistance is limited to this amount by law. All scholarships,
grants, loans and work study are considered in meeting the student’s

Tuition Exemptions

The following tuition exemption programs are administered through the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board:

  • blind/deaf student,
  • children of disabled or deceased firefighters and law enforcement officers,
  • children of professional nursing program faculty and staff,
  • children of prisoners of war or persons missing in action,
  • students in foster or other residential care,
  • peace officers, and
  • early high school graduates.

Some tuition exemptions are need-based. Eligible students should contact the Student Financial Services office for more information.

Student Financial Services Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

Frank Phillips College is required by the U.S. Department of Education to apply reasonable stands for measuring whether a student is making progress toward a degree as a standard for participating in any federal student aid program.  The State of Texas also requires students to meet satisfactory academic progress to receive any state-funded student assistance.  Student financial aid programs were created and funded to help students achieve access to higher education and accomplish academic goals. To receive funds administered by Student Financial Services, students must complete a degree plan and be making measurable progress toward completion of an eligible degree or certification. Federal regulations require evaluation of both quantitative and qualitative progress. 

Student Financial Services Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy

Satisfactory Academic Progress Request to Appeal Form

Veteran Services

Frank Phillips College honors all veterans and active-duty military and their service to our country.  If you are a veteran, or a survivor or dependent of a veteran, you may be eligible for veteran's educational benefits to help you achieve a valuable education.

Veteran Benefits

Frank Phillips College honors all veterans and active-duty military and their service to our country. If you are a veteran, or a survivor or dependent of a veteran, you may be eligible for veterans' educational benefits to help you achieve a valuable education.

Educational programs


Helpful Links

  • Dalhart VA Community Based Outpatient Clinic
    325 Denver Ave. Dalhart, TX 79022
    By Phone: 806-249-0673
    or online:

Contact Davina Brown, Student Financial Services at (806) 457-4200 ext. 636 or by email at

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

Policies & Guidelines

Previous education/training evaluation
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) requires that all previous education and training be evaluated for possible credit. Students are responsible for furnishing the FPC Veterans Representative with official transcripts from all schools previously attended. (This includes civilian colleges and universities, CLEP exams, and military transcripts)

Enrollment certification
Enrollment will not be certified to the VA until all necessary documentation has been received by the FPC Veterans' Representative.

Declaring a major
All veterans receiving VA benefits are required to declare an FPC major.

  • Veterans are allowed to take only courses required under the selected FPC degree plan, approved electives, and prerequisite courses. Courses used as approved electives or as substitutes for required courses must be approved (in writing) by your faculty advisor and documentation furnished to the FPC Veterans Representative.
  • The VA will not pay veterans for repeating coursework previously passed at FPC or other institutions. (Grades of "D" may transfer and be applied to your FPC degree program.)

Payment of Benefits
The VA pays on a post-payment system, which means the veteran will be paid for the month after it has passed. Payment is made by the VA Regional Office. The first payment takes six to eight weeks after the term begins. Checks are mailed directly to the veteran's address. Please notify the FPC Veterans' Representative of any change of address.

Withdrawing from courses
Withdrawal from courses may result in overpayments and repayment of any money received for the courses from which you withdraw. Consult with the FPC Veterans' Representative before withdrawing from courses. You must notify the Veterans' Representative after any course changes.

Developmental education
The VA will pay for developmental education courses only if the veteran has taken a Texas Success Initiative assessment and the resulting scores indicate a need for developmental education.

Veterans who are required to take developmental education courses will be withdrawn from all courses if they do not enroll in required course(s).

Financial responsibility
Students are responsible for the cost of all tuition, fees, and books.

  • Frank Phillips College, in compliance with the requirements of Title 38 USC 3679(e) will not impose any penalty, including the assessment of late fees, the denial of access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities, or the requirement that a covered individual borrow additional funds, on any covered individual because of the individual’s inability to meet his or her financial obligations to the institution due to the delayed disbursement funding from VA under chapter 31 or 33.


Benefits Handbook for Veterans and Dependents

Hazlewood Benefits (Texas Veterans and Dependents)

Types and Explanation of Benefits:

Montgomery GI Bill

Vocational Rehabilitation

Dependents Education Assistance (DEA)

Post 9/11 GI Bill

Reserve Education Assistance Program (REAP)

Veterans Education Assistance Program (VEAP)

Fry Scholarship

1606 GI Bill® (Selected Reserve)

Hazlewood Act (Texas Veterans/Dependents)

VA Education Benefits Comparison Chart

VA Benefits - Online Application

Apply online for VA Education Benefits

Helpful Links

Hazlewood Application

Hazlewood Hours Log

Department of Veterans Affairs Education Benefits

Texas Veterans Commission – Hazlewood Benefits

VA Muskogee Hot Line:

Verify enrollment at the end of each month Chapter 30, 1606 & 1607:

Dalhart VA Community Based Outpatient Clinic

Veteran Resources

Suicide Prevention & Awareness

If you or a Veteran you know is in crisis, find a facility near you visit 

If you are Active Duty, Reserve, or Guard make the Connection Shared Experiences and Support for Veterans

*This is from FPC AR_Veterans*

Meet the Team

We are dedicated to helping you and your family pursue your educational goals.  We understand that navigating the financial aid process can be challenging, but you don't have to do it alone.  Your FPC family is ready to offer you support and guidance every step of the way.

Crossland, Shannon_Dir Fin Aid updated_small

Shannon Crossland, M.Ed., FAAC

Director of Student Financial Services

Spencer, Angelia_small

Angelia Spencer

Student Financial Services Officer

Brown, Davina_small

Davina Brown

SFS Outreach Coordinator